Don’t forget your water wings.
*Cue the steel drums and reggaeton*
Grab your sunscreen, umbrella and good friends and head down to our beautiful sandy beaches! You may even get to see a ship coming into port, or a fishing charter headed out into the endless blue water.
Oh, did you think we were talking about southwest Florida? Or maybe the Bahamas?
Welcome to Superior, Wisconsin, baby! You don’t need to take an international flight to get some of the most pristine beaches and crystal clear waters your eyes have ever seen. If you’re as wild about water as we are, Superior is your one-stop destination.
On the Water
The feeling of a walleye tap tap tapping on your minnow or a pike striking your shad rap is a common, yet sacred sensation in Superior. Guided fishing trips and charters are available through a few different marinas. Hunt for trophy trout, walleye, pike, bass, panfish and salmon on one of the many waterways in the area.
A few reputable charters include:
- Barker’s Island Marina
- Fly By Night Guide Service
- Lake Superior Fishing – Optimum Charters
- Mont du Lac Charter Fishing Services
- N&S Great Lakes Fishing
- Nelson’s Guide and Charter Service
- Quest Fishing
- R Forrest Charters
- Sunrise Charter Fishing
- TK’s Charter Service
- Walleye Wade’s Guide Service
- Wehrman’s Fishing Adventures
Sail a real lake! Sailing in Superior is spectacular! Weigh anchor on a trip of a lifetime through the waters of Lake Superior. From daytime adventures to moonlight cruises, check out Schooner Charley, Time Out Sailing or the Duluth – Superior Sailing Association. You’ll wonder why you chose to be an accountant and not a nomad sailing the big blue world.
In the Water
Wisconsin might not be the first place you think of when talking about world-class beaches, but maybe it should be? The beaches in Superior and Douglas County are, well, superior. Fine sand, warm water and some of the grandest sunrises/sunsets can be found along the shores of Lake Superior. The main beaches in the area include:
- Barker’s Island Beach
- Newly restored in 2019, this recreational area boasts 1,400 feet of shoreline along with a designated swimming area, boardwalk and boat launch.
- Schafer Beach
- Want to feel like a castaway while still being close to the city? Look no further than the 500 feet of secluded shoreline of Schafer Beach! This hidden gem is perfect for anyone looking for some peace and tranquility.
- Wisconsin Point
- The most popular of Superior’s beaches is Wisconsin Point. When combined with Minnesota Point, these beaches make up one of the largest freshwater sandbars in the world! With 2.75 miles of sugary sand and sparkling water, it’s no surprise that people travel from far and wide to visit. And you never know, you may even see a ship coming into port while you’re there!
- Amnicon and Brule River Beaches
- Some hidden gems in Douglas County include the beaches at the mouths of the Amnicon and Brule Rivers! Located a short drive east of Superior, these pristine beaches are ever changing depending on river conditions. Enjoy the calm sounds of the river flowing into the greatest of the Great Lakes!
An important aspect of the ecosystem of southern Douglas county is the St. Croix River watershed. This vital area provides food, water and habitat for a variety of species, including humans!
Around the Water
Have you ever wondered how a MASSIVE ship carrying thousands of tons of cargo can stay afloat? Well, answering that would take a lot of physics and that’s not our forte, but we can tell you they look pretty darn cool.
Ships transporting iron ore, grain, cement and other materials make their way though Wisconsin Point to drop off or pick up more cargo. You can watch them from the pier or from a handy dandy webcam if the weather is subpar!
After a long day in, around or on the water, Superior is full of fun places to eat and stay.
Where to Eat
Dive into some Lake Superior cuisine at these fine establishments:
- Wissota Chop House
- Barkers Island Waterfront Grill
- Anchor Bar
- Gronks Grill and Bar
- Vintage Italian Pizza
- Pedro’s Grill and Cantina
- And more!
Where to Sleep
When your head hits the pillow after a day on the water, you may still feel the gentle rock of the boat. If that isn’t enough to put you right to sleep, Superior’s cozy accommodations will. For spending the night, check out:
- Cobblestone Hotel and Suites
- Superior Inn
- Barkers Island Inn
- Best Western Bridgeview
- Holiday Inn Express
- Boarders Inn and Suites
- Androy Hotel
- Mont du Lac
- And more!
So get out on the water and plan your next adventure today!